Monday, March 15, 2010

Only a life lived for others is worth living

Upon our return from Hawaii (in the airport actually), we learned that one of our good friends, Dan Shinozaki, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer. We were, of course, completely shocked and devastated by the news and immediately began praying for him. We began thinking of ways we could be good friends to him during his battle and began making plans to visit him in the hospital. He was staying in a hospital nearly seven hours away so a quick trip wasn't feasible. Exactly one week and one day after we found out he had been diagnosed with cancer, Dan passed away. As you can imagine, we have been trying to cope with the loss of our friend ever since.

We were able to attend his funeral service at his family's home in Japan. I am so glad we were able to go to the service because it was wonderful to meet his parents and brother and sister. After meeting them and being in their home, it was so easy to see why Dan was such an amazing and kind person. He was the type of person that immediately put you at ease. He always listened attentively and showed genuine interest in others. He was such a kind and caring person, and he's already missed so much. He had a magnet featuring, "Only a life lived for others is worth living," a quote by Albert Einstein. Dan lived those words.

This picture was taken after the 5K last year. Dan is in the middle holding #547. He was planning to run the 5K race with us again this year. We will run it in his honor instead.

I don't know what else to say. I will never understand why things like this happen in life, but I have already learned so much.

You have no guaranteed tomorrow.

Dan would have been 28 this coming Friday.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" Psalm 91:1-2

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had been waiting anxiously for the next blog. What a nice tribute to your friend, Dan. I will continue to pray for you and Travis, and may you find comfort in Him. lol mom

carolyn said...

Those verses are perfect, Jessica. We can always turn to the bible for solace and consolation even though we don't understand. And I hope that the two of you do find that.

Mary said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. I totally know what you mean about life

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
Thank you for your wonderful note on Daniel. Thank you so much for taking the time to come all the way to Tochigi for Daniel's memorial. Sorry I wasn't able to chat much. The whole thing has really been overwhelming for all of us. If you ever want to come for a visit, know you are welcome.
Corinne Shinozaki

Cindy said...

Jess, I am Carrie Rife's mom and found your blog via hers. You are an amazing woman!!! And who is this Travis????He sounds awesome! (looking at the b/day blog). I haven't read far enough to figure out why you are in Japan, but so glad you are sharing your experience. I'm so sad for your friend who died. Tragic!!! I have been in healthcare for over 35 years, and I learned that "lif is short" lesson long ago. My best....