Monday, April 1, 2013

Stella's First Easter

Stella and I just returned from spending a few days with my parents. We had a really nice and relaxing time. As much as I complain about the lack of drive-thrus (there are none) and the fact that the closest Target or Walmart is a half hour away, it is so tranquil there. We enjoyed walking the country dirt road with Stella in her stroller. She saw horses, cats and cattle for the first time. She was less than impressed, but we had a fun time showing her.

My birthday fell on Easter this year so it was slightly overshadowed by the resurrection, but I'm not bitter. I think Easter is actually my favorite holiday now. Unlike Christmas, the true meaning hasn't been nearly as overtaken by materialism. I didn't have to buy anyone stuff they won't like anyway. It is so much less stressful. It falls during a much nicer time of year, and without it, Christianity would most certainly not exist. So, I hereby declare Easter my favorite holiday. You're welcome.

Travis and I shared with our families we were expecting a baby on my birthday last year so it was neat to reflect on how much has changed in one year's time. Speaking of Travis, he returns this evening from his third trip to Haiti. While we were both a little bummed that he'd be gone for Stella's first Easter and my birthday, I am so glad he was in Haiti to celebrate. What an amazing opportunity and privilege. Plus, it's a little hard to be a brat when he's serving and loving on sweet orphans in a third-world country.

I have to admit that I was so distraught about not getting a picture of Stella with the Easter bunny. As you'll recall, my parents live in the country so there aren't any mall bunnies or Bass Pro bunnies nearby. Had I planned things better, we certainly could have made the trek to hunt one down, but I waited too long. So, Stella will have no picture with a scary bunny to commemorate her first Easter. I already lost my Mom of the Year Award when I let her roll off our bed so I guess I'll just keep on disappointing. Ok, I know it's so not a big deal, but it drove me bonkers. Alas, the day was saved when I spotted a perfect basket in my parents' den. After we cleaned out the 1980s National Geographics, a photoshoot commenced!

Here is the result. There are several!





We had Easter dinner at my grandparents' house. My grandma is most definitely one of my favorite people in the world. She is an amazing woman and a fantastic example to me. She has aged so gracefully, and I love her a ton!
Look what I found!



My beautiful momma and my sweet baby girl. I am so fortunate!
This is my very handsome grandpa. I guarantee you have never met a kinder soul.  He is 85 and continues to make very tasty rolls for every family occasion!

I feel like I have to mention what a bargain Stella's Easter dress was. I am a sucker for smocked dresses, but they're expensive. I found this one with tags still on at one of my favorite consignment stores for $5.50! I know I'm biased, but I think she looks absolutely darling in it. Maybe I'll get that award after all. ;)

No comments: