Thursday, February 26, 2009

So, do you like it?

The one question I'm asked more than any other in reference to Japan is, "Do you like it?" To which I typically respond with a nod and say "Yeah," with a little bit of a high-pitched inflection at the end of the word.  But, it's just not that simple. I really can't answer that question with a yes or no response. So, from now on, instead of answering, I'm just going to tell whomever asks me to go and read my blog. Of course I'm kidding, but I'll attempt to answer it here.

If you are wondering if I'm happy here, I am. That doesn't mean I wake up every morning and can't wait to start the day, but it means that overall, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I have always wanted to live in a different country for a period of time, and now I have that opportunity. Additionally, I enjoy experiencing a different culture and meeting new people. There's also part of me that gets enjoyment from being out of my "comfort zone." Again, I don't feel like that 100% of the time, but I like what it does to me and how it makes me feel. I think it's good to be in a situation that so many continue to live every day. It helps me relate a little.

Plus, as you know, I LOVE to travel. Being located in Japan has given us so many opportunities to travel Asia. Just being able to travel within Japan has been an incredible experience, too.

If you ever ask if I'm homesick, I'll most likely always tell you, "Not really." That answer has recently begun to change. I'm not homesick in the sense of crying a lot of tears or hating it here, but I do find myself exhibiting some signs. My patience in the crowded train stations has been a bit short, and sometimes I want to elbow store associates in the face when they greet me with a loud, "Irrashaimase!" Irrashaimase in Japanese is really only used when greeting customers or potential customers. It basically means, welcome and how can I help you? Anyway, it can be quite irritating when screamed loudly by each associate every time you enter an establishment. 

But, most of all, I'm beginning to come to the realization that barring any major disasters, I won't be going back to the U.S. until December. I know that's not very long in the grand scheme of things, but it still makes me a little sad and freaked out. My best friend is pregnant and so is my sister-in-law. It kills me to think I won't be there to welcome these new little people into the world. 

So, in a more lighthearted spirit, I am going to give you a list of some things from home I miss. I know there are people all over the world living in impoverished conditions so I'm not acting like I'm suffering or anything like that. But, I do miss some of the luxuries I enjoyed at home. Not saying I couldn't live without them, just merely mentioning that they made my life a little easier.
  • Clothes dryer: We have a pretty tiny washer, and I have to dry all of our clothes on a little drying rack. We've had a lot of rainy days lately. 
  • Oven: I was no Susie Homemaker in the States, but I have really been craving some cake and cookies.
  • El Maguey for Mexican food: This restaurant was more than just a cheap Mexican restaurant with cheap margaritas. For Travis and I, it meant so much more. Every time we had anything of importance to discuss, we took it to El Maguey and chatted for hours. Can you really think of a better atmosphere in which to discuss the meaning of life?
  • Target: Oh, how I love Target. I just want to go and walk around for hours, even if their store layout includes a bunch of shelving running through the middle of the store making it very difficult to find wandering husbands.
  • Last, but certainly not least, I miss my Little Skittle. I just want to scratch her big round belly.
So, there you have it. 

If you have any other questions for me, just leave a comment, and I'd be happy to answer them. I don't feel like I've given you a great picture of Japanese culture yet so please ask away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how about yo mamma?