Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tokyo

Last weekend, we headed to Tokyo. It was my first time there, and we had a great time taking in all the sites. My feet, however, are still sore from all the walking.

We left early on Saturday morning and went to Tokyo by shinkansen.

We saw a pretty nice view of Mt. Fuji.

We packed so much into the two days we were there that I couldn't possibly try and capture all of it here. So, here are some of the highlights from our weekend.

We enjoyed an amazing view of Tokyo from Roppongi Hills. The observatory was open-air, and we had great weather for it. Travis appears annoyed by my affection in this photo.

We spent some time walking around the grounds outside of the Imperial Palace.

Here we are in Kabuki-cho, an area famous for Tokyo nightlife and other things not worth mentioning.
We spent the night in a capsule hotel, which was actually much more comfortable than I had anticipated. We stayed in Akihabara, a section famous for electronics.

The next day brought a little rain and a lot of wind. This picture is outside Harajuku Station. Like much of Tokyo, it was very crowded.
We also visited Meiji Shrine and were pleasantly surprised when we were able to witness several traditional weddings.

My friend, Andrea, will be here in a couple of weeks, and I'll get to enjoy Tokyo with her all over again. It's such a lively and interesting city. So much to see and so many people. Not sure I could make the city my permanent home, but it's definitely great for a few days.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Jessica,

That looks so cool! What an amazing city! Quick question about the capusle hotels -- I Googled those and am interested... do you each get your own capusle? Could you share? Facinating stuff your exposing me to, thanks :)