Thursday, April 2, 2009

Goodbye, 24!

I know many of you will be shocked to discover I turned 25 on the last day of March. I know you're  thinking I am wise beyond those years, but it's true, I really am THAT young. 

Birthdays are bittersweet for me. I really love my birthday because I feel like it's a 24-hour hug. Unless, of course, you celebrate it in two time zones like I did. In that case, the hug lasts longer. I am always amazed by how kind people are to me, and it makes me all warm and fuzzy. But, I hate them, too, because it reminds me that I'm not the only one getting older. I suppose that's how the cookie crumbles.

Anyway, I had an amazing birthday, and I think I am still glowing from it. I didn't have many expectations for my birthday this year since we are so far away from home, but I was floored by the amount of cards and gifts I received. Thank you all so much!

My birthday started with an early wake-up. Travis and I had a conference call at 6 a.m. so I had to get up extra early. I awoke to presents from my hubby, a poured bowl of cereal with a note "to add milk," and a fresh pot of coffee. It was a great start to the day, and I committed to spending the rest of it in my P.J.'s reading magazines and watching movies. Contrary to what some of you may believe, I don't do that every day.

Travis came home from work and surprised me with some birthday treats before we headed out for my birthday party.

We met a group of friends at a favorite restaurant. The couple in the bottom right of this picture are my friend, Beth's, parents. They are visiting from the U.S. and had just arrived a couple of hours prior. Now that's devotion! I was so overwhelmed by how many people came and by all the gifts I received. I couldn't believe the generosity and thoughtfulness. I felt so special.

Here I am opening one of the many gifts I received. I must say, though, the gift pictured was one of my favorites. For those of you who don't know, Japanese people often wear surgical masks to prevent spreading or inhaling germs. Not sure how well it works, but I'm now completely numb to how strange this seems to people not living in Japan. I don't even notice it anymore. Anyway, I was talking one day about how manufacturers should create surgical masks with funny expressions and faces. I especially thought there was a need for a "Billy Bob" face mask with the grotesque smile and jumbled teeth. Anyway, much to my surprise, it exists. My friend, Megan, gave it to me for my birthday. It's not quite as exaggerated as I would have created, but it's still pretty funny.  I'll take pictures. Don't you worry.

Travis also insisted on making me dinner the day after my birthday. It was pretty amazing, too.

When he told me he wanted to make dinner for me, I secretly began hoping he would make scallops, and he did! They were huge and so tasty, too!

Now, I have to wait a whole year for the next one.

*P.S. I planned a very malicious April Fool's blog, but I chickened out and decided to make my brother the lone victim.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Major, major props to Trav! And please share the April Fools' Joke! I'm so happy that you had an awesome birthday... you deserved every minute of it :)

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a great time.

JILLYN said...

What?!?!?!? No one shoved cake in your face this year???? You got ripped off. And where is the picture of you with your Billy Bob mask? We MUST see a picture.... I am sad I couldn't celebrate with you, but oh so happy you had so many people there to celebrate with you

JessHart27 said...

Well, the April Fool's blog was going to be about a bogus relocation to Belgium. But, I decided it might freak people out (like our mommies) so I told my brother I was prego and needed his help to find a good Japanese doctor instead. Much to my surprise, he actually bought it. I'm sure he'll pay me back next year for it.