Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mission Accomplished

Yesterday I set out on a mission: to open a Japanese bank account. I recently obtained a part-time job, thus having a bank account of my own became necessary. And, I'm happy to report, I was successful. I was able to use the little bit of Japanese I know, and I accomplished the task.

I had to laugh a little, though. I followed an example to fill out the form, written entirely in Japanese,  to begin the process of opening the bank account. I basically copied it for the most part. The gal helping me took notice of one box I had checked. I checked a box to receive just a basic ATM card and bank book. Much to my amusement, she took the time to point out that I could actually receive a Disney-themed bank book and ATM card. Of course I complied! I mean, how could I not? 

Here's my new bank book.

I love many things about Japan. One particular part I enjoy is the lack of separation between what we would classify as "kid items" and those more appropriately reserved for adults. For instance, it's very common to see an adult carrying luggage adorned with Winnie the Pooh or Minnie Mouse. Likewise, many adults opt to decorate their cars with Lilo & Stitch. Travis has mentioned many occasions when seemingly well-respected and somewhat intimidating upper-level management will join a meeting and proceed to sign documents with a Rescue Rangers pen or answer their cell phone decorated with Little Mermaid or Donald Duck. I, personally, think it's great. I mean, who really wants to grow up?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love it! Classic. Enjoy tracking your spending with Mickey & the gang.

Unknown said...

Yeah! Congrats on getting the bank account on your first try.

Total Betty said...

i love this book and based on this post, i'd fair well in Japan