Saturday, June 6, 2009

Surprises

There's not much I love more in life than surprises. Not bad ones, of course, but the planned kind. I love being surprised, and I love surprising other people. Yesterday, some friends and I surprised our friend, Megan, with a bachelorette party, and we had a blast! The boys also surprised her fiance with a bachelor party so maybe I'll share some of Travis' photos in the next post.

We started the event at the other Meghan's apartment. We have formed a book club, and we disguised the party as our book club meeting. So, once Megan (the bride) arrived, she quickly realized we had thrown her off track, and we were actually going to have a wild night to celebrate her! 

We enjoyed some snacks and gave her a pop quiz on her fiance and headed to dinner. She did surprisingly well because those questions were hard!

Here we are at Wolfgang Puck's. There was also a wedding reception there that night so it was neat to see the bride and her friends dressed to the nine. Her dress was crazy. It reminded me a lot of the dress in The Wedding Singer, but her hair was bigger with a huge flashy flower accessory.

When planning, we racked our brains for something silly and fun to do after dinner, and then we found it. Next, we went to watch a drag queen show. Yes, mom, I know you are proud. It was a hoot. I must say I wasn't exactly prepared for what occurred, and I'll spare you the details, but it certainly made for a funny memory. 

Here we are with some of the "girls." The "girl" to the farthest right of the photo had amazing hair.

After the show, the night was still young so we opted to head to a dance club. None of us are what I would call, clubbers, but sometimes a girl's just gotta dance. The club was a little swanky, but we had so much fun! Japan is such a safe country, which made going to a dance club so easy for us. We didn't have to worry about any scary creeps trying to dance with us because all the guys were too scared to even approach us so we just danced for hours with abandon.

I must say the most memorable portion of the night might have been the scene in the dance club bathroom. Oh my word! I have never seen so many girls primping. And, I'm not just talking about a little powder on the nose and some lipstick reapplication. There were curling irons plugged in and everything! One room was entirely devoted to vanity. And, the club is dark! The effort put into appearance in Japan is astounding. 

Anyway, we had the best time. It was the most fun night I have had since moving to Japan. My feet are paying the price today, but it was definitely worth it!

Oh, and dancing is a great cardio work out. Here we are sweating from dancing so hard. From left to right, Megan, Beth, Jessica and some skanky girl with her bra strap revealed. Just staying classy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I will expect details the next time we chat

Jenn said...

Looks like a lot of fun! (Thought for sure with a title like that you were gonna tell us you were prego, but alas, just a surprise party!)