Sunday, September 14, 2008

Beach Camping in Hamamatsu

Last weekend, we ventured to Hamamatsu with a group of friends to try and find a camping spot. Hamamatsu is only about two hours from where we live in Nagoya. Well, two hours when you know where you're going anyway. Of course we got a bit derailed, but that's to be expected these days. It's no fun to drive straight to your destination anyway. We found the beach and started scoping out places to set up camp. 

We found a pretty decent spot, don't you agree? The beach wasn't crowded, and it was so nice.

I was pretty pumped!

The waves on the beach were huge! I'm not sure if they are always as big as they were on Saturday, but they were unbelievable. Travis was no match for them.

This picture, like some more below, was taken by my friend, Allison. She has a much nicer camera and captured some great shots. I really like this one of the surfers. I have no idea how they survived the waves, but they were fun to watch.

This is our camp after we got it all set up. It was so awesome to unzip the tent door and see the waves crashing. I could get used to falling asleep to the sound of ocean waves, too. 

Here's the group relaxing. I was kind of bummed no one wanted to pretend we were on "Lost," but I got over it pretty quickly.

From our campsite, we saw a huge crowd of people farther down the beach. So, we opted to go and check it out. Boy am I glad we did! The crowd in this photo is waiting to release a bunch of baby sea turtles. They were sooo cute!!

Hopefully this guy makes it. 

I made a few inappropriate jokes about grabbing some of the little turtles to cook over the fire for later, but no one thought I was very funny.

While we were watching the baby turtles...men made fire.

The girls made a pyramid on the beach.

Now come visit us already!!!

2 comments:

Penny said...

looks like fun and no coyotes to worry about

Jake said...

Hey this is random, but I stumbled across your blog because our Japanese college group and myself are looking to go camping in Hamamatsu on the beach. Could you tell me possibly where this spot is in Hamamatsu? It looks rad! Like, do you have a pin to the location or anything? That would be amazing if you did. Thanks, from another fellow gaijin living in Nagoya. My name is Jake, btw. Thanks so much!!!