Monday, September 22, 2008

Right in Our Backyard

This past weekend, Travis and I decided to go and grab breakfast at Starbucks before we ran to the grocery store, and we stumbled upon on quite a find.

This is the view from the second floor of the Starbucks near our house. I go there often as it's where I meet with my Japanese tutor for lessons about three times per week. This view is of the main street. It's where the bank, post office and train station are located.

When we were headed towards breakfast, we noticed a large mob of people exiting the train station and heading towards the road right next to Starbucks. There were a few street vendors set up so we decided to check it out. We were glad we did.

It was sort of like a farmers' market, but with more than just fruits and veggies. Candy, nuts, miso paste, kimchi, fish and dozens of other staples for Japanese cooking were for sale. There were also some crafts and knick knacks for purchase, too.

This photo shows  miso paste, which is used in many Japanese dishes. You're probably most familiar with miso soup.

These little guys are all over the place. I haven't learned the story behind them yet, but if you ever visit Japan, you'll definitely see them. I think they're pretty strange, but maybe cute? Oh, and this picture is in no way meant to represent any sort of future family planning so don't get any crazy ideas.

There was also a variety of fresh fish for sale.

When I say fresh, I mean chop-off-the-head fresh. We are actually having this guy for dinner tonight. Seriously.

Here is some unagi (eel).

They were grilling it on the spot. I've been told that you can just buy the grilled unagi and re-heat it in the microwave. Maybe I'll try that next time. 

And, here's the temple. It's called Nittaiji Temple. Travis and I couldn't believe that we have been here for three months with this temple practically in our backyard. We always knew it existed, but we had no idea how large it was. 

Here's another picture of the temple area. We discovered that the festival/market occurs each month on the 21st, which is when the mayor of Nagoya, whom we saw, goes to Nattaiji Temple. 

No comments: