Thursday, September 11, 2008

Okazaki Castle

Hi, friends! Sorry for the blogging hiatus. Everything has been going well here. It's strange how living in Japan is starting to feel normal. We're settling into a bit of a routine, and the things that really used to make me nervous are becoming habitual actions. I now walk into the post office with confidence and buying groceries is a breeze. There are certainly challenges, but I'm getting a little more comfortable with the language and my surroundings.

Last weekend we were invited by a very kind Japanese couple, Mr. and Mrs. Hayashi, to lunch and to a castle near their home. We had a little trouble getting to their house because driving in Japan always takes much longer than anticipated. We only had to go about 20-30 miles, but it took about an hour and a half. There was so much stop-and-go traffic! Once we made it, Mr. and Mrs. Hayashi treated us to a traditional Japanese lunch. I really regret not taking a photo of it because it was quite impressive. The spread included approximately fifteen beautiful Japanese dishes, all tiny of course. I was unfamiliar with most of the spread, but I ate almost everything in stride. I just opened my mouth, and down the hatch it went! The most unique item I consumed was a tempura-fried maple leaf. It didn't really taste like anything, but I just thought it was sort of unusual to eat a fried maple leaf. I believe the Japanese eat these maple leaves to celebrate the fall season. Speaking of, I cannot wait for fall in Japan!

Here are Mr. and Mrs. Hayashi. They lived in America for approximately four years, and they loved it. In fact, they both really want to go back. I can't say I blame them. :)

This is Okazaki Castle. It's a pretty small castle in comparison to many others. The original structure was built in 1455, but the structure in this photo, like many other castles and shrines in Japan, was rebuilt in 1959. Many structures in Japan were destroyed during the War. 

I think this might be my favorite photo cut-out shot. 

This clock is located in front of the castle. Two times per hour, it opens up and a little guy does a dance. It was quite amusing and well worth the five minute wait.

I thought this was mighty clever. It's a clock, and the bushes represent the hours.

On the way out, we noticed this funny little phone booth.

That's all for now, but we're headed to the beach to go camping this weekend with some friends. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

No comments: