Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tidbits

I often try to focus on things in Japan that I really like and try not to focus on those that I don't too much. It only seems healthy. 

So, since I'm on an "I like Japan" kick, I thought I would share a few of those items that make life here a bit more pleasant.

Bread: In Japan, the loaves of bread are super fresh, and you can buy them according to thickness of slice. For instance, each loaf is the same size, but the amount of slices included in each differ. If you wanted super thick bread for Texas-style toast, you could pick up a loaf with only three slices. If you wanted thinner slices, you could grab a loaf of six or eight slices. 

Hand washing stations: In many restaurants, there is a little sink with soap and paper towels near the entrance. I just love this idea, and I think it encourages hand washing. When you see it, you're instantly reminded that you should probably wash your grubby hands before you eat.

Individual packaging: I often hear people complain about the over-packaging in Japan, but I have really come to enjoy it and feel like I better understand its purpose now. For instance, I bought a package of cookies the other day, and each one was individually wrapped in its own package. Although it caused more trash, each wrapper is recyclable. The individual wrapping makes it much easier to grab a couple of cookies to throw in your purse (or murse) for a snack later, and it keeps them fresher longer. I've become a big fan of the Saltines' packaging here. Each box includes several packages of about 8 crackers each. It's the perfect amount for a snack, makes them very portable and prevents porking out and eating an entire sleeve.

Convenience stores: They're everywhere here. You really can't walk more than a few blocks without stumbling upon a convenience store, and they most certainly live up to the whole "convenience" title. Since they're nearly everywhere, you can always run in and grab a beverage or a snack. They also usually have some fresh food like rolls, various Japanese snacks (vague, I know) and french fries, all of which are very tasty and fresh.

Vending machines: Vending machines are also plentiful. I once heard a statistic that there is one vending machine in Japan for every thirty residents. I have no idea if that claim can be substantiated, but trust me, there are a ton of them. The prices are usually about the same as what you'd pay in a grocery store or convenience store so there's really not much of a disadvantage to purchasing snacks or beverages from them. 

Table buttons: Restaurants here often have a button placed at each dining table. After being seated, the server asks that you push the button when you're ready to order, need more to drink, etc. I think this idea is genius. It completely eliminates that whole awkward stage of trying to keep your menu closed and attempting to make casual eye contact to show you're ready to order or trying to slurp your empty beverage extra loud so as to get the attention of your server.

Well, that's about all I've got for now. I'll work on thinking of a few more tidbits to share with you. 

No comments: