Thursday, November 13, 2008

Osaka and Bunraku

After my being gone for a few weeks, Travis was itching to get out of town for a little bit. So, we spontaneously decided to head to Osaka last Saturday morning. We had discussed it during the week, but we didn't book a hotel or really plan until that morning, which I consider quite spontaneous. I typically like to have everything all planned out.

Anyway, there weren't a whole lot of touristy sites to see, but we were just interested in absorbing the city and eating the food. Osaka is the third largest city in Japan (about nine million) and much less conservative than Nagoya. We enjoyed the hustle and bustle and craziness of the city. We started our trip by having some okonomiyaki and yaki soba for lunch. Osaka is famous for okonomiyaki and takoyaki. We spent the rest of the day roaming around the city.

I have no clue, but it's slightly amusing.

Travis buying some takoyaki.

BFFLs.

I had been wanting to try one of these fish cakey things for a while. It tasted like a waffle on the outside and was filled with warm sweet red beans. Quite tasty.

Osaka never sleeps. It was really busy at night and all lit up.

We also purchased tickets to watch bunraku, which is Japanese puppetry. Bunraku requires many years of training for the puppeteers as well as the musician and narrator that accompany the puppets. The dolls used are about half life-size, and their eyes, eyebrows and mouths all move very realistically. Each puppet is manipulated by three individuals all working in perfect unison. The story is told my a narrator and is accompanied by a shamisen. It was really interesting to watch, but it got a little lengthy for my taste. We were there for four hours, and I honestly could have ducked out at intermission, which by the way was a thirty-minute break for lunch. Nonetheless, it was a great cultural experience, and I would recommend it.

Inside the bunraku theater.

Well, that's all I got for now. We're heading to the woods with some friends this weekend. Hopefully we'll get to enjoy some fall colors, and maybe we'll even catch a fish!

Oh, and I don't want to be one of those, if-you-read-my-blog-please-leave-a-comment people, but I must admit I am getting a little bummed that no one comments. So, feel free to leave me a comment every now and then so I don't jump in front of a train or something. Kidding, of course.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I always read! Promise. Stay away from the tracks

Heather said...

Love reading your blog...and by the way...you are FAR needing a forklift!!!!

Carolyn said...

Your friend Liz sent me your link to read. I'm hooked! Great blog.

Allison said...

Well, not that I want to see you jump in front of the train, but if you do remember to bow a lot and say sumimasen as you make the big leap. Can't be rude now... =)

Allison said...

(I really hope my comment came off as a joke... )

JessHart27 said...

Don't worry, Allison, I definitely took it as a joke. Thanks for the comments! My desperate plea seems to have worked, and I feel all better now.

Becca Witt said...

Hey Jess! I'm addicted to your blog. It's great to catch up on your and Trav's adventures.