Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to Japan

Thanks for your patience while I took another little vacation from the blog. We are now back in Japan and getting settled back into our routine. I wish I could tell you that I've already finished unpacking, but I just can't seem to make myself do it. Oh, well. 

We had a great time at home. We spent most of the time visiting with our families and enjoying the company of our friends back home. I ate like Ruby used to and enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you to all who contributed to my gluttony and to those that let us stay in your homes.

We don't have plans to return to the homeland until next December so the longest stretch is ahead of us. It's going to be really hard to be away, but I know 2009 is going to be a great year.

Enjoy a few pictures from our trip to America.

Silver Dollar City, which is appropriately nicknamed "Steal-Your-Dollar-City," robbed us of $94.00, but we still managed to enjoy ourselves. We consumed a hefty amount of grub at the buffet, drank some hot wassail and watched "The Christmas Carol." This photo is of Travis and my sweet niece, Jordan. 

We visited my brother and his family in Ozark several times during the trip. Of course it wasn't so much to see him as his cute family. This photo is of me and my youngest niece, Johanna. She insists on wearing pajamas while at home, hence the princess nighty.

Travis tried to teach her how to take a photo Japanese-style.

One of the fondest moments of the trip was the annual Trivial Pursuit game we play on Christmas Eve. It's always a competitive game and we play "men" vs. women. Although the males' egos needed the win much more than we ladies did, we defeated them for the second year in a row.
Here's a picture of Travis and me on Christmas Eve.

Tim and Travis were inseparable for much of our stay. I think they're hetero-lifemates or something. As you can see, Tim grew an incredible beard that had to be captured indefinitely. I continue to marvel at the many photos we took of it. Unfortunately, it's now gone. This picture will help all of us to remember it. Thank you, Tim.

On another note, we also received quite a surprise from Tim and his wife, Christy. They told us news that they are expecting a baby! Whoa. I'm not even going to write anything about the beard and its incredible fertility powers.

On Christmas Eve, my brother and his family were invaded by a nasty illness so they were unable to join us on Christmas day as they usually do. So, my parents and I had the great idea to drive an hour and a half to visit them. Although it was wonderful to see them and to enjoy a little family Rock Band, I later paid the price. I still say it was worth it, though. I mean, this picture has fame written all over it.

This picture just makes me laugh.

Towards the end of our trip, we headed back up to St. Louis and spent some time with our dear friends, Mike and Maya. We spent one afternoon at the City Museum. If you have never been to the City Museum, I highly recommend checking it out. I'm not sure how the place stays open because I swear there are law suits waiting to happen everywhere, but we had a great time climbing all over the place.

And, we even managed to find a place to relax.

We took this picture on our last day at home. Our little Skittle is doing well. I know many of you have been concerned about her physical condition, but she seems to have lost a few pounds. By the time we left, she was leaping onto the couch with only one try.  Now we'll just have to see if she can keep it off. 

I hope each of you had a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year. 2009 is so my year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! Thanks for posting... we loved having you in St. Louis. Except for the fact that it reminded us of how much we miss you guys!