Thursday, January 8, 2009

I've gone public

So, Travis and I have some friends that have been writing down long-term and short-term goals together for years. I have greatly admired their pursuit in accomplishing them. I  think there's a lot to be said about putting something in writing.  And, since it is that time of year to make promises and attempt to get back on track, I've decided to make a little list myself. I also think if I post them on my blog I might be more likely to actually complete them; however, I could just be setting myself up for public failure. 

Here goes it...

• Read the entire Bible in one year.

• Run a half marathon. (Stop laughing, Jonathan.)

• Visit at least three different countries.

• Blog 100 times.

• Increase Japanese conversation and comprehension to at least an elementary level.

So, feel free to offer your encouragement, but if I don't accomplish some or all of them, I don't want to hear a peep!

3 comments:

julie said...

hey jessica! i think your goals sound great. i have one piece of advice--you can take it or leave it. i have a lot of friends who have tried to run marathons or half marathons when they don't have much experience running. it's definitely doable and some people have the will power to succeed, but most people i know have given up.

jared and i ran a 10K last year and i found it to be a perfect distance to train for. it's a challenge without being so overwhelming and it's a great starting point if you want to move on to longer races.

i think you can do a half and since you're overseas you have more time to devote to running. i don't want to discourage you at all--just letting you know that i enjoyed training for the 10K a lot and felt like it was a good accomplishment!

JILLYN said...

You can DO IT!!! A half marathon can't be that hard! And Lord knows you've got the blogging thing down. hah. And there are special Bibles that are geared for reading in one year, so that will help. What else? I will check in on you every month or so to see how your doing. Accountability can't hurt either! Now I need to work on my list...

P.S. Good luck on the marathon thing. That may be the most difficult on your list.

Jessica said...

Hey Jess!!! I didn't know about this blog you had. Yay! I'll add it to my google reader. On your goals-- awesome! I read the Bible through last year... am in the middle of training for a half right now (and I also did one back in college. If I can do it, you can!) And I think the blogging 100 times is an awesome goal! i was trying to think of a goal like that for myself this year... but I was pretty sure I couldn't blog every day, so maybe the 100 number would be a good goal for me too :)

As for training-- have you seen Hal Higdon's training plans online? Thats what I use...