Sunday, January 18, 2009

Field trips are fun

I've been quite busy lately, but fortunately I've been busy with fun stuff. Below are a few pictures from my most recent outings.

I went to Tokoname to make an ojizo-san. I think he's supposed to protect travelers and children, but since he was crafted by my two Christian hands, I have decided he's just a cute little figurine.
This is the meal I enjoyed in Tokoname. I love to take pictures of food. Perhaps that's because eating is my favorite pastime.

Last week my Japanese tutor invited me to join her on a trip to the neighboring town of Arimatsu. Her sister lives in Arimatsu so the three of us went to learn about the ancient Japanese art of shibori
Hand crafting shibori, which is often used to create beautiful Japanese kimonos, is no easy task. We were able to observe part of the process, which is pictured above. The fabric's pattern is first hand-marked marked with washable ink. Then, the craftsperson stitches on each dot. After that, the fabric is meticulously "wadded" up. The ink is washed from the fabric, and then it is dyed. The process can sometimes take months for just enough fabric for one kimono. Additionally, since there are many types of shibori, the craftspeople become specialized. The same individual works on the same piece until it's completed. Talk about needing serious patience!
Here's a photo of the lunch I enjoyed in Arimatsu. Apparently I was carb-loading.

When we were walking around Arimatsu, we stumbled upon a kimono exhibition. We went inside and enjoyed looking at a huge variety of beautiful kimono fabrics. Some of the kimonos were more than $5,000, which didn't include all the necessary accessories that go with it. Wowzers!

No comments: