Monday, May 11, 2009

Beijing Part II

One of my favorite parts of traveling is eating. Well, actually, eating is my favorite thing to do. Period. I love food and especially trying new foods. I'm not as adventurous as Travis, but I loved the food in China. It was so flavorful, and I'm happy to report, we never got sick. Just thought I'd share a few photos of some of the dishes I enjoyed most.

This photo is of one of the Peking duck meals we enjoyed. Peking is another name for Beijing. In Japanese, for instance, Beijing is Peking. Anyway, it was delicious, and it's served sort of fajita-style. You place the duck in very thin pancakes and add plum sauce and cucumber slices. Delightful.

It doesn't look too appetizing, but this dish consisted of mashed potatoes and cabbage, two of my very favorite foods.

Most of the food we enjoyed in Beijing was spicy! Look at all of that chili sauce. This dish was chicken with red chili sauce.

We ate these on a couple of occasions. I can't remember what they're called, but they are fried spring rolls with potato inside. The ends are capped with roasted sesame seeds.

Mutton is very popular in Beijing. This dish consisted of lamb spare ribs, I believe, with lots of chopped peppers. 

One evening we went to Beijing's famous snack street, which I have recently been told appeared on the Amazing Race. We saw all kinds of crazy things on sticks-sharks, centipedes, star fish, snakes, venison kidneys and LOTS of bugs. While there, Travis proceeded to indulge in one of the snacks. Enjoy the video below.


Pardon my commentary. I was a bit disgusted despite having seen him eat several abnormal items on many occasions.

Knock-offs also abound in Beijing. There are so many. I really don't understand how they can be sold. We saw everything you could imagine-knock-off make-up, iPhones, jewelry, shoes, tools, toys, everything! And, it doesn't stop at clothes and electronics.

Notice a resemblance?
How about with this one?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hello Jessica,
my name is jessica hartman too (seems like there are a lot of us) and i have a blog at www.jesshartman.blogspot.com and one day I accidentally typed in the url for yours instead. Just wanted to tell you I really enjoy reading about your time in Japan--it is funny because my boyfriend and I are considering moving to Japan for awhile. Are you working there?

JessHart27 said...

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am working part-time as an English assistant teacher, and I have a few private students as well. We have really enjoyed our time here so I would recommend Japan. It's a bit expensive, but it's very safe, and there's so much to do!