Friday, May 8, 2009

Beijing Part I

We've been back from Beijing for a few days now, but I'm just now getting around to blogging. I thought about blogging several times, but I never knew where to start, and I still don't. We crammed so much into five days! Instead of trying to capture it in one post, I'm going to break it into a few. Hope you don't mind.

I'll start by saying we had an amazing trip. It surpassed my expectations, and it was filled with surprises-some welcomed and others, well, not so welcomed. 

On another note, I'm continually amazed by how many people lump China, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, Japan and other Asian countries into the same category assuming they're all the same. I will be the first to admit that I never realized how different and unique each of the countries are from one another until moving here. The contrast is astounding. Especially in the case of China and Japan. I would almost describe them as completely opposite. In fact, I think America is more similar to China than Japan is similar to China. I'm not saying America is similar to China, just that it's more similar to China than Japan is to China. Kapeesh? So, please, for the love of Pete, don't ask me how I like living in China, ok? I live in Japan. Not China. Not that I would mind living in China. I think I could hang. Just trying to make the point that they are VERY different countries. 

Ok, enough of that ramble and onto the good stuff...

We began our first morning in Beijing with a walk to Tiananmen Square. We were neither prepared for the crowd that awaited us nor the amount of trash-can spitting we would encounter. Spitting in China is quite common, but at Tiananmen Square, it's strictly reserved for the many trash cans throughout the square. It was an interesting place to be, and we were quickly made aware of the pride Chinese people have in their country. Or at least they did a great job of making it appear as so. Lots of flag-waving, etc.

This picture was taken at Tiananmen Square. 

Across the street from Tiananmen Square is the Forbidden City. We went there next. Well, actually, we took an accidental detour to a tulip garden first. We thought we were entering the Forbidden City, but we actually ended up paying to enter a huge tulip display. I dig tulips so all was okay. Plus, we got to see our first Chinese argument there. I must say I really loved the public display of emotions in China. In Japan, people are generally very reserved so it was quite refreshing to hear someone get angry and start screaming at the gardeners for not allowing them to trample hundreds of tulips in order to capture a great photo.

After some Chinese tulip admiring, off to the Forbidden City we went. We visited China during Golden Week so everywhere was CROWDED. We experienced our first queue at the Forbidden City, or shall I say lack of queue. It didn't take us long to realize we were going to have to throw some 'bows to hold our places in line. Again, it was actually a bit amusing because in Japan, it seems like most people love to line up for everything. It's so organized here. In China, it's the total opposite. If you turn your head for one second, several people have already cut in front of you. Might get old after a while, but I kind of liked plowing through when I had the chance.

Here I am in the Forbidden City throwing up the perfunctory peace sign.

The next day, we headed to the Great Wall. Prior to our trip, I worked my tooshie off to make sure everything was in order, or so I thought. Travis and I try to stay away from organized tours as much as possible because we typically find great satisfaction in figuring things out. Except, of course, when things go array.

We woke up early and prepared to meet a driver I hired to take us to the Great Wall. After he was about fifteen minutes late, I decided we should try to call him. So, the receptionist at the front desk helped me out. Once on the phone with him, he told me he had forgotten. What?! How could he have forgotten? We only exchanged about ten e-mails discussing the time, date and cost. Ugh. It wasn't a huge deal because he ended up arriving within 45 minutes, but I quickly understood the importance of follow-up. Always follow up. Always.

The ride to the Great Wall was absolutely terrifying. I can't even begin to describe the death defying acts our driver performed. Just imagine a two-and-a-half hour game of chicken. That is what we endured. After a while, I just decided to close my eyes. 

We finally arrived to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. It was raining. Grrr... Did we have an umbrella? Of course not! Lucky for us, about 47 stalls waiting to pounce on wet tourists awaited. So, we bought an overpriced umbrella. I commented on the fact that although it was expensive, it seemed like a really nice one. It was big enough to share, seemed heavy-duty and was even kind of cute.

As soon as we got to the top, it broke. Welcome to China, Jessica and Travis. There we were on top of the Great Wall with no umbrella and soaking wet. It was awesome. Ok, I'm exaggerating. It wasn't raining all that hard. It was mostly a steady sprinkle, but it was chilly and windy!

Fortunately for us, the rain subsided within about half an hour, and we were able to enjoy the beauty surrounding the Great Wall. We had a wonderful time climbing to the highest point and soaking up the experience. I even consumed a pricey and expired Snickers bar atop it.

We really went to the Great Wall! Yes!

It was absolutely beautiful. This picture isn't the best one since there was a rain drop on my lens, but I am too lazy to try and re-upload another one so just take my word for it. I really wasn't expecting it to be as pretty as it was, but it was just amazing. The mountains surrounding it were spectacular, and it's just sooo long.

After the Great Wall climb, we were famished. Our driver took us to a dumpling restaurant away from the tourist traps. It was quite an experience. The restaurant didn't exactly meet American health code standards or even come close, but we closed our eyes and shared thirty of the most delicious lamb, pork and beef dumplings I've ever eaten. I love Chinese food.

Next stop, Olympic Park. Despite the white-knuckle ride, I was able to take a short nap on the way back to Beijing. Just continuing to prove my inexplicable ability to sleep in almost any situation. It's quite a talent, I tell you.

Here's a picture of the Bird's Nest, which you probably remember from the 2008 Olympics. We weren't able to go inside because Jackie Chan was there practicing for a concert. Go figure.

Well, I think I'm going to have to wrap things up. I'll write more about Beijing soon. Thanks for reading!

No comments: